Solvay Indupa has been established in Mercosur for almost 70 years, always respecting the people and the environment
The origin of Solvay Indupa in Argentina goes back to Indupa (Industrias Patagónicas), founded in the Province of Rio Negro in 1948. This company manufactured chlorine, caustic sodium and PVC. In 1986, Indupa was established in the Province of Buenos Aires to be part of the Petrochemical Complex of Bahía Blanca.
From 1993 to 1995, the company entered into a composition with creditors, became a property of the state and was shortly after privatized along with other companies from the petrochemical complex. The first buyer was a consortium formed by Dow, Itochu and YPF. In 1996, the Solvay Group bought 51% of Indupa shares, thus originating Solvay Indupa SAIC and paving the path for a new era of transformation and growth.
In 1998, Solvay Indupa SAIC acquired chlorine, caustic sodium and PVC business from Solvay do Brasil, forming the company Solvay Indupa do Brasil S.A. This integration allowed the company to strengthen its position in the markets of both countries and begin expanding throughout MERCOSUR and the world. From 1997 to 1999, the Solvay Group invested 161 million U. S. dollars in Argentina to expand its manufacturing capacities and consolidation projects and to improve environmental and safety measures.
Solvay was set up in Brazil in 1941 in the city of Santo André – SP, named Indústrias Químicas Eletro Cloro. The first plant was inaugurated seven years later and produced sodium hydroxide, chlorine and sodium hypochlorite.
Following the philosophy of diversification of activities, PVC manufacturing began in 1956, PVC compounds in 1958 and high density polyethylene in 1962. In 1972, Solvay got a foothold in the petrochemical field with Consórcio Paulista de Monômero (Copamo) and, in 1989, acquired Brasivil Resinas Vinílicas, integrating them with its own PVC manufacturing units.
In 1991, Solvay adopted the international name of the group, and became Solvay do Brasil S.A. In 1998, the integration with Solvay Indupa da Argentina originated Solvay Indupa do Brasil. Solvay facilities in Santo André currently take up an area of 175.000 square meters, with two units for PVC manufacturing and one unit for chemicals.